How to write a guest post and pitch it ethically by providing data driven, valuable and original content involves targeting and researching your niche in order to aligh the audence of the website or blog and personalising each outreach message. Statista says “how-to articles’ are the most popular content format, with 77% of users favoring them when accepting guest post pitches.
By focusing on building genuine connections and providing valuable content, you can increase your chances of having your guest post accepted and maintaining a positive reputation within the blogging community.
Effective strategies for pitching a guest post
- Research and Target the Right Blogs:
- Before reaching out to a blog with a guest post pitch, conduct thorough research to identify the most suitable platforms that align with your expertise and target audience.
- Consider factors such as the blog’s niche, readership, engagement, and previous guest posts. Ensure that your content is relevant and valuable to the blog’s audience, as this demonstrates respect for the blog owner and their readers.
- Engage with the Blog:
- One way to establish a genuine connection before pitching a guest post is by engaging with the blog. Comment on their articles, share their content on social media, and subscribe to their newsletter.
- This interaction not only helps you understand the blog’s tone and style but also shows your genuine interest in their work. Building this rapport can increase your chances of having your guest post pitch considered seriously.
- Personalise Your Outreach:
- When crafting your guest post pitch, avoid using generic templates and mass emails. Take the time to personalise each outreach message by addressing the blog owner by name and referencing specific articles or topics that resonated with you.
- This personal touch demonstrates that you have invested time and effort in understanding their blog and indicates a sincere interest in contributing.
- Provide Value:
- To increase the likelihood of your guest post being accepted, focus on providing value to the blog’s audience. Craft a compelling headline and outline that highlights the key takeaways and actionable insights your post will offer.
- Clearly articulate how your content will benefit the readers and provide a unique perspective or fresh ideas that align with the blog’s objectives.
- Respect Guidelines and Boundaries:
- Every blog has its own guidelines and requirements for guest post submissions. Familiarize yourself with these guidelines and ensure that your pitch adheres to them. Pay attention to word count limits, formatting preferences, and any specific instructions provided.
- Respecting the blog owner’s boundaries demonstrates professionalism and increases the chances of your pitch being considered.
- Follow Up Professionally:
- If you don’t receive an immediate response to your guest post pitch, it’s acceptable to follow up politely after a reasonable period. However, avoid being pushy or aggressive. Show understanding of their busy schedule and reiterate your enthusiasm for contributing.
- A respectful and professional follow-up can demonstrate your commitment while maintaining a positive impression.
Delivering Value in Guest Post Articles and Pitches
By offering original and data-driven content, you can capture the attention of readers and make a lasting impression
Explore effective strategies for providing value both in your guest post articles and in your pitch, by leveraging originality, statistics, data, insights, editorial comments, references, and visual aids like charts and graphics.
- Original and Unspoken Content:
- To truly stand out and provide value, strive to offer content that is unique and hasn’t been extensively covered before. Avoid rehashing common topics and instead focus on bringing fresh perspectives, innovative ideas, or unique experiences to the table.
- Original content is more likely to captivate readers and offer them something they haven’t encountered elsewhere, making your guest post valuable and memorable.
- Statistics and Data:
- Incorporating relevant statistics and data into your guest post adds credibility and supports your arguments. Data-driven content helps readers understand the significance of the topic and provides a solid foundation for the insights you present.
- Conduct thorough research to gather accurate and up-to-date statistics, and ensure you properly attribute your sources. Presenting data in a clear and concise manner enhances the value of your guest post and positions you as an authority on the subject.
- Insights and Editorial Comments:
- Share unique insights and editorial comments throughout your guest post. Draw from your expertise, experiences, and observations to provide additional context and analysis.
- Offering thoughtful perspectives and expert opinions demonstrates your depth of knowledge and adds a personal touch to your content.
- Reference Evidence and Credible Sources:
- To further enhance the value of your guest post, back up your statements and claims with credible sources and references. Include hyperlinks or citations to studies, research papers, or reputable articles that support your arguments.
- By providing evidence and demonstrating that your content is based on reliable information, you establish trust with readers and solidify your credibility as a guest author.
- Charts and Graphics:
- Visual aids such as charts, graphs, and infographics can greatly enhance the value of your guest post. They help convey complex information in a visually appealing and easy-to-understand format.
- Incorporate relevant visuals that complement your content and provide visual representation of data or key points. Well-designed graphics can capture readers’ attention, increase comprehension, and make your guest post more engaging and memorable.
The Importance of Following Website Guest Post Guidelines
Before you hit “send” on that pitch email, it’s crucial to understand the significance of following website guidelines when submitting a guest post proposal.
Website guidelines often reflect the site’s commitment to quality and consistency. When you adhere to these guidelines, you show that you are serious about your work and that you are willing to invest the time and effort to meet the website’s standards.
Your commitment to demonstrate you have followed a websites guideline fosters trust with the website owner and their audience. Building credibility within your niche is essential for long-term success in guest posting and online marketing.
Website owners and editors receive numerous guest post pitches regularly. Following their guidelines sets you apart from many others who may not take the time to do so.
When your pitch aligns with their expectations, you increase the likelihood of your proposal being accepted. It’s a simple yet effective way to make a positive impression and secure that coveted guest posting opportunity.
Neglecting Website Submission & Contribution Guidelines
Neglecting website guidelines can result in rejection, wasting your time and the website owner’s time. Many editors are strict about their guidelines, and they may dismiss pitches that do not adhere to them outright.
By thoroughly reviewing and adhering to these guidelines, you minimize the chances of rejection, ensuring that your effort is well-spent.
Ultimately, following website guidelines is a small but essential step toward making guest posting a valuable and successful endeavor for both you and the website owner. So, before you send that next pitch, take the time to read and follow the guidelines – it’s a strategy that pays off in the long run.
Crafting Your Guest Post Pitch
To increase the chances of your guest post pitch being accepted, it’s essential to convey the value your content will bring to the target blog’s audience. When crafting your pitch:
- Highlight the uniqueness and originality of your content.
- Mention the statistics, data, and insights you will provide to support your arguments.
- Share any editorial comments or expert opinions that will enrich the topic.
- Refer to credible sources and evidence that you will include in your guest post.
- Describe any visual aids, such as charts or graphics, that will enhance the visual appeal and comprehension of your article.
Key mistakes to avoid when pitching a guest post
Pitching a guest post can be a valuable opportunity to expand your reach, share your expertise, and build connections within your industry. However, it’s important to approach the process with care and avoid common pitfalls that can hinder your chances of success
- Ignoring Blog Guidelines:
- One of the most significant mistakes you can make when pitching a guest post is neglecting to read and follow the blog’s guidelines. Blog owners usually have specific requirements for guest posts, including word count limits, formatting preferences, and content topics.
- Failing to adhere to these guidelines demonstrates a lack of professionalism and may lead to your pitch being disregarded. Always take the time to thoroughly read and understand the guidelines before crafting your pitch.
- Sending Mass or Generic Emails:
- Sending mass or generic emails to multiple blog owners is a surefire way to get your pitch ignored. Personalisation is key when reaching out for a guest post opportunity. Avoid using generic templates and instead tailor each email to the specific blog you are targeting.
- Address the blog owner by name, reference their content or recent articles, and explain why you believe your guest post would be a good fit for their audience. Show genuine interest and demonstrate that you have taken the time to research and understand the blog.
- Focusing on Self-Promotion:
- While guest posts can help promote your expertise and brand, it’s important to remember that the primary objective is to provide value to the readers. Avoid making your pitch overly self-promotional or sales-oriented. Instead, focus on delivering high-quality content that educates, informs, or entertains the audience.
- Show the blog owner that your primary goal is to contribute meaningful content and engage their readers, rather than solely promoting yourself or your business.
- Lack of Relevance to the Blog:
- Sending a pitch that is not relevant to the blog’s audience or content is a common mistake that should be avoided. Take the time to understand the blog’s niche, target audience, and the topics they typically cover.
- Tailor your pitch to align with their interests and ensure that your proposed guest post adds value to their readers. Irrelevant pitches show a lack of consideration and may result in immediate rejection.
- Poor Writing or Grammar:
- Your guest post pitch should reflect your writing skills and attention to detail. Avoid sending pitches that contain spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, or are poorly structured. Proofread your pitch thoroughly to ensure it is clear, concise, and free of typos.
- A well-crafted pitch demonstrates professionalism and increases the likelihood of your guest post being taken seriously.
- Lack of Follow-Up:
- Following up on your guest post pitch is important but be mindful of the frequency and tone of your follow-up communication. It’s acceptable to send a polite and professional follow-up email if you haven’t received a response after a reasonable amount of time.
- Avoid becoming pushy or sending multiple follow-ups without any new information to add. Respect the blog owner’s time and decisions, and maintain a courteous approach in your follow-up.
Ethical Guest Posting: Avoiding Spam-Like Tactics in Outreach
In recent times, a disturbing trend has taken hold in the world of guest posting, leaving website owners and editors exasperated.
The emergence of guest post resellers utilising spam-like tactics to secure backlinks for monetary gain has led to an outcry for ethical practices and transparency in the industry.
With millions of website owners being inundated with unsolicited pitches from self-proclaimed professional bloggers and SEO experts, it is becoming increasingly important to address the issue head-on.
Genuine bloggers and content creators understand the value of guest posting as a means to build backlinks and increase online visibility. However, the actions of a few bad actors threaten to tarnish the reputation of this widely utilised strategy.
The primary concern lies with guest post resellers, who often lack expertise and resort to spamming tactics to secure links on websites.
The key problem is the lack of research and personalization in their outreach. Many of these resellers fail to invest time in understanding the target website, its content, and its audience. As a result, their pitches often come across as generic, lacking substance and relevancy.
This approach is in stark contrast to ethical guest posting, where content creators take the time to tailor their pitches to each individual website, showcasing a genuine interest in providing value to readers.
To combat this issue, it is essential for content creators to provide high-quality content samples that demonstrate their expertise and writing ability. Sharing previously published work that showcases research, originality, and a clear understanding of the target audience helps build trust with website owners.
By providing evidence of their skills, genuine bloggers and content creators can differentiate themselves from the swarm of spammy pitches
Crafting a thoughtful and engaging email
Crafting a thoughtful and engaging email is another crucial aspect of ethical guest posting. Resellers often rely on generic templates that fail to establish a personal connection.
In contrast, genuine bloggers take the time to address website owners or editors by name and show familiarity with their work. They also emphasise the value their proposed guest post would bring to the website’s readership, while also expressing a willingness to adhere to guidelines and editorial standards.
Respecting website guidelines
Respecting website guidelines is paramount in maintaining the integrity of guest posting. Every website has specific guidelines that outline preferred topics, formatting requirements, and editorial standards.
Ethical content creators invest time in thoroughly reading and understanding these guidelines before pitching their guest posts. Adhering to these requirements showcases professionalism and consideration for the website owner’s preferences, strengthening the likelihood of a successful collaboration.
Above all, ethical guest posting is about building relationships rather than merely obtaining backlinks. Content creators who engage genuinely with website owners and editors, sharing their work and participating in relevant discussions, foster meaningful connections.
By cultivating relationships within their industry, they enhance their credibility and increase the chances of receiving authentic guest post opportunities in the future.
Pitching to Blogs Vs News Websites
A blog and a news website serve different purposes and cater to distinct audiences. Here are the key differences between the two:
- Purpose and Format:
- Blog: A blog is typically a personal or corporate website that features informal and opinionated content. It often focuses on a specific niche or topic of interest. Blog posts are usually written in a conversational tone and can vary in length and style. Blogs often allow comments and encourage reader engagement.
- News Website: A news website, on the other hand, is primarily focused on delivering timely and objective news coverage across various topics. The content is structured in a journalistic format, following principles of accuracy, objectivity, and credibility. News articles are typically concise and informative, presenting the facts in a clear and unbiased manner.
- Content Type:
- Blog: Blogs often include a mix of personal experiences, opinions, reviews, tutorials, and other forms of content. They can offer a more subjective perspective and allow authors to express their thoughts and expertise in a unique voice.
- News Website: News websites primarily provide news articles, which cover current events, trends, interviews, investigative reports, and other factual information. The focus is on delivering accurate and up-to-date news to readers.
- Blog: Blogs usually attract a specific target audience interested in the author’s niche or expertise. Readers often visit blogs to gain insights, learn something new, or engage with the author and other readers through comments and discussions.
- News Website: News websites cater to a broader audience seeking reliable and timely information on a wide range of topics. Readers come to news websites to stay informed about local, national, and global news across various fields.
When pitching content to either a blog or a news website, consider the following:
- Relevance: Tailor your content to the specific interests and themes covered by the blog or news website. Ensure that your content aligns with their target audience and fits within their niche or subject matter.
- Tone and Style: Match your writing style and tone to the overall tone of the platform. Blogs may allow for a more conversational and personalized approach, while news websites require a more objective and formal tone.
- Accuracy and Credibility: For news websites, ensure that your content is factually accurate, well-researched, and supported by reliable sources. Maintaining credibility is crucial for news platforms. Blogs can be more flexible, but it’s still important to provide accurate information and transparently attribute any sources used.
- Unique Angle: Provide a unique perspective or angle that distinguishes your content from others. Offer fresh insights, expert analysis, or exclusive information that would be valuable to the readers of the platform you’re pitching to.
- Writing Samples: Include writing samples or previous published work to showcase your writing style, expertise, and ability to engage readers. This helps the platform’s editors or administrators assess the quality of your content.
Remember to review the guidelines and submission requirements of the specific blog or news website you’re pitching to, as each platform may have its own preferences and guidelines for content submissions.
Example– Guest Post Email Pitch
Dear [Editor’s Name],
I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to you on behalf of [Your Company/Organization Name], a respected leader in the digital marketing sector.
I am writing to propose a collaboration opportunity between [Your Company/Organisation Name] and [Technology Blog Name]. We would love to contribute a guest post that explores the fascinating relationship between technology and digital marketing, which we believe would greatly resonate with your audience.
My proposed article aims to provide your readers with a fresh perspective on the transformative power of technology within the marketing sphere.
Titled “Unlocking Success: The Synergy of Technology and Digital Marketing,” my article will delve into the dynamic interplay between these two domains and how businesses can harness this synergy to drive remarkable results.
The article also aims to provide your readers with a fresh perspective on the transformative power of technology within the marketing sphere.
I will delve into the dynamic synergy that arises when technology and digital marketing intersect, uncovering new opportunities for businesses to thrive in the digital age.
I will also explore how businesses can effectively leverage advancements such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and automation to enhance their marketing strategies.
Additionally, My article will delve into the power of data analytics in driving targeted campaigns, measuring success, and improving customer experiences.
Example – News website pitch
Dear [Editor’s Name],
I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to you as an expert in the field of cybersecurity and analytics and an avid reader of [News Website Name]. I greatly appreciate the high-quality journalism and insightful content that you provide to your readers.
I am excited to propose an exclusive article that delves into the captivating realm where cybersecurity and analytics converge. Given the growing importance of data protection and the increasing sophistication of cyber threats, I believe this topic is both timely and of significant interest to your audience.
The proposed headline for the article is: “Unraveling the Dynamics of Cybersecurity and Analytics: Safeguarding Data in the Digital Age.” This article aims to shed light on the critical role that analytics plays in fortifying cybersecurity measures and protecting sensitive information against evolving threats.
In this thought-provoking piece, I will explore the evolving cyber threat landscape and the challenges faced by organisations in safeguarding their digital assets.
Additionally, I will discuss how advanced analytics, including machine learning and artificial intelligence, can bolster cyber defense strategies. By delving into real-world examples, I will showcase how analytics-driven approaches effectively identify and mitigate cyber risks.
Furthermore, I will examine the role of data analytics in proactive threat hunting and incident response, enabling organisations to detect and respond to cybersecurity incidents swiftly and effectively. .
By offering this exclusive article to [News Website Name], I aim to provide your readers with valuable insights and actionable recommendations for fortifying their cybersecurity defenses.
My expertise in the cybersecurity and analytics domain, combined with the reputable platform of [News Website Name], will undoubtedly contribute to an engaging and informative article.
The Superiority of Content Marketing Over Paid Guest Posts
Businesses are shifting their focus from paid guest post requests to the powerful strategy of content marketing. Recognising the limitations and drawbacks of paid guest posts, savvy marketers now understand that content marketing offers a more effective and authentic approach to engage audiences and achieve long-term success.
Paid guest post requests involve approaching website owners or bloggers and offering monetary compensation in exchange for publishing an article or blog post on their platform. While this approach may provide short-term visibility, it lacks the genuine connection and sustainable impact that content marketing delivers.
Here’s why content marketing is a superior alternative:
- Authenticity and Trustworthiness: Content marketing places a premium on authenticity and trust. By creating valuable, relevant, and original content, businesses can establish themselves as thought leaders and experts in their respective industries. In contrast, paid guest posts often come across as promotional, lacking the credibility and authenticity that audiences seek.
- Value-driven Approach: Content marketing revolves around providing value to the audience. By addressing their pain points, answering their questions, and offering actionable insights, businesses can demonstrate their expertise and establish a reputation for delivering meaningful content.
- Organic Growth and Engagement: One of the key advantages of content marketing is its ability to attract organic growth and engagement. When businesses consistently produce high-quality content that resonates with their target audience, they naturally attract interested individuals who actively seek out information.
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Benefits: Content marketing seamlessly integrates with SEO strategies, providing long-term benefits for businesses. By producing valuable and relevant content, optimizing it for search engines, and earning natural backlinks, businesses can improve their website’s visibility and ranking on search engine results pages.
- Long-Term Impact and Return on Investment (ROI): Content marketing offers a lasting impact and higher ROI compared to paid guest post requests. High-quality content remains accessible and relevant to users over time, attracting new visitors, generating leads, and driving conversions long after its initial publication. Conversely, paid links in guest posts provide temporary visibility and may require continued investment to maintain visibility.
Content marketing’s emphasis on authenticity, value, and long-term impact sets it apart from the transactional nature of paid guest post requests. As businesses recognise the power of content marketing, they position themselves for sustained success in the digital landscape.
- According to Nielsen, people tend to scan rather than read word for word when consuming online content. They seek out the information that is most relevant to their immediate needs.
- Demand Metric reveals that 70% of individuals prefer getting information from blogs rather than traditional advertisements.
- Hosting Tribunal highlights that there are currently over 600 million blogs out of 1.9 billion websites worldwide. The authors of these blogs produce more than 6 million blog posts each day, adding up to over 2.5 billion posts annually.
- Statista’s research indicates that “how-to articles” are the most popular content format, with 77% of users favoring them. This is followed by news and trends at 49%, and guides and ebooks at 47%.
- Only one-third of bloggers regularly check the traffic analytics for their blogs, as reported by Statista.
- Medium reveals that engagement typically begins after approximately 7 minutes of reading content.
The Pitfalls of Link Begging: Safeguarding Your Reputation
Website owners and marketers continually seek ways to boost their online visibility and improve search engine rankings. One widely debated practice in this realm is the controversial technique known as “link begging.”
While some may view it as a shortcut to success, digital marketing experts caution that this desperate tactic can lead to severe pitfalls and long-term damage to one’s online reputation.
Link begging involves the act of soliciting links from other websites or online platforms without providing substantial value in return. Website owners who engage in link begging often reach out to other site owners or bloggers, requesting links to their own content with little consideration for the relevance or offering something valuable in return.
The practice of link begging can harm one’s online reputation and relationships within the digital community. When website owners receive unsolicited requests for links that provide little or no value to their users, it can be perceived as spammy and unprofessional. Such practices can lead to strained relationships, loss of credibility, and a tarnished reputation within the industry.
Moreover, link begging fails to acknowledge the importance of building genuine, organic relationships with other website owners and content creators. Instead of focusing on creating high-quality content that naturally attracts links, link beggars prioritize short-term gains over long-term success.
This approach undermines the fundamental principles of online marketing, which emphasise the creation of valuable, shareable content and fostering meaningful connections with the digital community.
To avoid the pitfalls associated with link begging, digital marketers emphasise the adoption of more ethical and effective strategies. Investing time and resources in creating exceptional content, leveraging social media engagement, and developing relationships with industry influencers can result in organic link acquisition and positive brand recognition.
Guest Post Email Spam & Freelance Spammers.
However, a disturbing trend has emerged in recent times, threatening the authenticity and credibility of guest posting: the rise of guest post spammers.
These individuals, often hailing from countries like India and Pakistan, are using generic email spam templates to send guest posting requests to hundreds of websites, showing little to no regard for a website’s guidelines.
- The Spammy Approach
Guest post spammers typically employ a mass-email approach, bombarding website owners and editors with generic pitches that lack personalization or relevance to the target website.
Their primary goal is not to create valuable content but to secure SEO hyperlinks for their private clients or make money from freelancer platforms like iCopify.
- Questionable Professionalism
Many guest post spammers claim to be professional bloggers but lack any substantial blogging or writing experience. They may never have written a genuine article or maintained their own blogs
Their misleading representation raises concerns about their commitment to producing high-quality content that benefits both the host website and its readers.
Preserving the Integrity of Guest Posting
To combat the issue of guest post spam and preserve the integrity of guest posting, website owners, editors, and content curators are now taking proactive measures.
- Stricter Screening: Implement more rigorous screening processes for guest post submissions. Prioritise contributors who demonstrate a genuine commitment to your website’s content, audience, and guidelines.
- Educate Contributors: Communicate the importance of adhering to website guidelines to all potential contributors. Make it clear that your website values quality and relevance above all else.
- Collaborative Review: Work closely with contributors to ensure their content aligns with your website’s guidelines. Provide feedback and guidance to help them meet your standards.
- Raise Awareness: Share your experiences and concerns about guest post spam within your network and the broader online community. By raising awareness, you can encourage a collective effort to combat this issue.
Summary – How To Pitch A Guest Post – Conclusion
Pitching a guest post using respectable outreach strategies and building genuine connections is a powerful way to expand online presence and establish authority.
By conducting thorough research, crafting compelling and personalised pitches, offering valuable content, and maintaining professionalism, individuals can increase their chances of successfully pitching a guest post and fostering long-term relationships within the industry.
Building genuine connections is key to successful guest post pitching. Engaging with the target website or blog by commenting on their posts, sharing their content, or connecting on social media also helps establish familiarity and credibility.
It may come across to you that this article has repeated and covered the same information several times. I can personally assure you this was very intentional as the message does not seem to be getting across to many of those who engage in spammy emails.
The guest post spam plauge is becoming worse and webmasters should immediately delete or mark the email as spam in the fight for content quality and convery the message that these emails will no longer be tolerated.